Saturday, December 31, 2011

reminder for my sagging memory

"If you ask me what I came into this life to do, I will tell you: I came to live out loud."

Emile Zola

I had this pinned to my drawing board when I was a late teenager. I wonder if I am? It is related to Gandhi's "Be the change you want to see in the world" and St Francis preaching "Go out to the world and spread the Gospel and use words if you must" (paraphrase).

I feel vulnerable when I admit I that I use words as a sign post rather than as a 5 page memo for others to understand where I am. The reality of living out loud doesn't seem so romantic now from hindsight. But it is rich in presence.

2 comments:

  1. The Zola quote seems to me to have a 'Rorschach blot' quality about it, in that it can remain inspirational even though its meaning may alter as we age. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. depends where you live too! I like the idea that it's also an antidote to suffering in silence. Wouldn't hurt to know we are going through something very normal. Or sharing joy - same thing. Thanks Marian!

    ReplyDelete